| Contact us @  |   Aa  ⇧ Français         
Legal Aid/ Are services available outside Quebec?

Services available outside Quebec

Thanks to an agreement between the federal government, the provinces and territories, a person residing in Québec and financially eligible for legal aid can obtain legal services outside Québec. This arrangement is called reciprocity.

To obtain services outside Québec, an application must be filed with the Legal Aid Office closest to where the applicant lives.

The application is then forwarded to the province or territory in question and a determination is then made whether  the financial eligibility and the services required are covered under the law of that province or territory.

In criminal matters, the person seeking a lawyer must apply to the legal aid agency in the province or territory where the charges were laid. 

© Commission des services juridiques Création: Diane Laurin - 2017